Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Favorite Podcasts & Others

Though I've never created a podcast, I have subscribed to a few. One that I've had for the past 2 years is the Daily Audio Bible and I love it! It provides daily readings from the Old Testament, New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs.

For this week's challenge, I wanted to look for new podcasts to add to my iTunes. I began my search in the iTunes store and found one, "Grammar Girl: Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing." I was so thrilled to see this because I'd been eyeballing this book for a little while and just never had the chance to buy it. With this podcast, there are weekly segments relevant to various grammar faux pas. This week's podcast was roughly 8 minutes long and addressed irregular verbs.

I also subscribed to November Learning's Podcast. This one was of particular interest because it has been a resource that we've referenced in LIS 568 course. It discusses topics relevant to education, curriculum planning, Web literacy, critical thinking, and assessment for example. They appear to publish new podcasts almost on a monthly basis. The last one was July 2011 and addressed, "Rethinking Science Education."

The Smithsonian also has several podcasts. One that struck me first was the African Art Museum podcast. However, I was disappointed to find that there hasn't been a publisehd podcast from them since September 2010. My favorite aspect of what they offered were the book readings. They read books like, "Anansi the Spider," and "The Leopard's Drum." Which gave me an idea to do this on my own. However, with further investigation, it appears that I cannot including storytelling in my podcast, of copyright protected materials. I would need to obtain permission from the copyright holder. So I'll need to look into storytelling via podcast a bit further.

In the meantime...off to attempt my first podcast!

5 comments:

  1. I am too excited! I figured it out! You can listen to my very first podcast in the above post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I was too scared to try making my own podcast, but I am glad to see that some people did attempt it. I will definitely have to check out the Smithsonian website, it would be interesting to see if their other museums have podcasts. I too ended up subscribing to some podcasts I did not even know existed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job at taking on the challenge and posting your own podcast. Take a look at the Librivox site where volunteers create audio recordings of books that are in the public domain. This may be a good place for you to fulfill your idea of audio recording children's literature. Your podcast was very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great podcast! Will you begin a regular series? Your voice works nicely with audio media tools.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the compliments. They are greatly appreciated!

    @Katie, I do hope to keep the podcast going.

    @Prof. Sullivan, thank you for the link. I will definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete