Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Week #2 Reflections, Library 2.0 & Don't Make Me Think

The following from Steve Krug's, "Don't Make Me Think," is what stood out the most for me:

1) Usability matters
2) Web pages should be self-evident, obvious, and self-explanatory
3) Get rid of the question marks

The aforementioned are the thoughts that went through my mind as I set up my blog. Though in some ways I feel like my color scheme, however pretty, is super colorful and possibly a little too busy or distracting. At the same time, I wanted it to feel adventurous and I hope that I've met that goal.

The Library 2.0 reading makes me want to investigate how our local public libraries are making use of these technologies. I think the idea of merging the catalog with the library's blog is great. Having links to click on that are relevant to the materials I am searching in the catalog would further enhance my research in the particular area of interest that I might be working on.

In this chapter, it was said that, "Efficiency has displaced the sense of team," (not sure if Casey said this or Savastinuk). I agree because face to face interaction with human beings is so valuable. At the same time, digital interface is so practical, efficient and often speedy. Face to face, as discussed in this chapter requires scheduling meetings or getting to work early, or chatting at break. Instant messaging as its name implies, is instant.

However, as a user and consumer of information in the library, I enjoy seeing the faces. For instance, there are now multiple self check-out kiosks in the Audubon library (and other libraries in the area). Even at what used to be a face-to-face check-out counter. Yes, I like and appreciate being able to check out on my own. In fact, it's even fun, but I also enjoyed talking to whomever was checking me out that day. He/she might smile and uplift or encourage me, or suggest other movies that I might want to check out next time because he/she really enjoyed it. The digital interface lacks this element of personal touch.

As I learn more about these Web 2.0 tools, I'm sure I'll rally for them more and more, while appreciating the smiling faces at my library at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I have mixed feelings about the self-checkout kiosks too--it feels weird using one when there's a real live library staffer standing by just a few feet away (although it seems like I usually screw something up and end up going to the circulation desk anyway!). I think it comes back to what a lot of people have been saying on the discussion board--technology has to supplement, not replace, face-to-face interaction and library buildings.

    ReplyDelete