Saturday, October 8, 2011

Google Reader & RSS

"RSS" Really Simple Syndication. Google Reader is a great way to have access to all of the content that is of most importance to you. Blogs, podcasts, and news feeds for example. In some ways, it seems that subscribing to multiple feeds would cause an overwhelming amount of content to sift through, but Google Reader organizes your subscriptions in such a way that streamlines the load (some). It may also eliminate the need to jump from site to site to view content since it's all in the one reader.

I found a number of feeds to subscribe to that I found interesting. The School Library Monthly blog for example, and Smithsonian Libraries. I also subscribed to the feed of my favorite author, Ted Dekker. I also found a feed to the Smithsonian Folklife Festival. I attended this event this summer and now I can be in the know for what will take place next year.

Which is the general idea, right? To stay in the know. For this reason, it seems like a good resource to use.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that it seems that subscribing to multiple feeds is overwhelming. I think that RSS and Google Reader are great ideas in theory, but Google Reader still is visually set up in a way that overwhelms me. There is a lot of information. Like you said, it's important to "stay in the know," but when there's so much to know it can be very discouraging.

    ReplyDelete